Emergency Preparedness Important for All; Crucial to Senior Safety
Parsons House Austin offers Resource Guide & Care Plan, and tips for seniors and caregivers
Austin, TX, February 2, 2011—This week’s rolling blackouts and severe weather remind us that planning for emergencies is important for everyone in our community, and that our senior loved ones may need more assistance to plan ahead to stay healthy and safe. In many cases, it may take longer for seniors needing to evacuate or respond to an emergency and they may not be equipped to do so without assistance. Having a set plan that all parties (seniors, children, caregivers, etc.) can refer to is not just helpful, it can save a life. Parsons House Austin, an assisted and independent living community, is expert in all matters concerning senior citizens and would like to share these tips on emergency preparedness with the community.
If your senior loved one lives alone, here are some tips to help make sure they are prepared for an emergency:
1) Keep a supply of items they might need, such as liquids (at least a 3 day supply), daily medications, non-perishable and easy to prepare food and water enough for at least three days, disposable adult diapers, and cash somewhere readily accessible in case of emergency.
2) Make sure identification is on their person, especially if the individual has Dementia or is easily confused.
3) Make sure they are equipped for power outages by having a back-up generator, at a minimum a flashlight for each room of the house or a place to go to if the power does go out for an extended period of time.
4) Have a transportation plan in place in case of evacuation.
5) Have an Elder/Caregiver Resource Guide or other document that includes all of one’s information in one place, such as their: health, medical and legal information, and the contact information of family members and close friends. This way, they can quickly access any of this information during an emergency and have it with them if evacuation is needed.
Parsons House Austin offers a free Elder/Caregiver Resource Guide & Care Plan for your loved one living alone. The community also publishes a free quarterly newsletter focusing on advice and tips for adult children of seniors. To request a Resource Guide & Care Plan or subscribe to the newsletter, send an email to [email protected].
About Parsons House Austin
Parsons House Austin is an assisted and independent living community. Their independent living services offer a secure and fulfilling lifestyle with all the comforts of a home-like setting, while offering the experience and skill of a knowledgeable and dedicated staff. Their assisted living program offers a special combination of housing, personalized support services, and health care designed to respond to individuals who need help with activities of daily living, but do not need skilled medical care as provided by a nursing home. Parsons House Austin promotes maximum independence and dignity for each resident, encouraging the involvement of family, friends and physicians. For more information please call (512) 454-0524, or visit www.parsonshouseaustin.com.
Note to editors: To schedule interview with Parsons House Austin experts or to talk with a family caring for their senior relative, please contact Candice Tang at [email protected] or (805) 687-3322.