Foodbank Seeks to Collect 2,500 Turkeys for Local Families in Need through Countywide Turkey Drive
Turkey Drive kicks off November 1st and goes through November 19th
Santa Maria Car Show & Turkey Drive on Saturday, November 10th
Santa Barbara County, CA, October 19, 2012 – With summer temperatures throughout the county, the holidays may still seem far off, but with November just around the corner, the Foodbank of Santa Barbara County is already preparing for their annual community Turkey Drive. Beginning on Thursday, November 1st, Foodbank invites the community to provide the key ingredient to the Thanksgiving holiday meal for local families in need. The annual Turkey Drive kicks-off countywide on November 1st and runs through Monday, November 19th.
Foodbank’s goal is to raise 2,500 turkeys in order to help families in need continue the tradition of taking part in a warm Thanksgiving meal with loved ones around the table. The Foodbank is well on its way towards this goal with a generous donation from the Bartleson family, who will donate 100 frozen turkeys to the Foodbank’s Santa Maria location to kickoff the drive. Also rising to the occasion are those at Golden State Water Company who are collecting turkeys for the drive.
In 2011, the Foodbank distributed over 8.5 million meals, of which fully half was fresh produce. This served over 102,000 unduplicated people from Carpinteria to Santa Maria, an amazing 1 in 4 people. A staggering 44% of those served by the Foodbank are under the age of 18 and the need is greater than ever.
Other organizations, individuals or businesses are encouraged to participate in the drive. Also keep a lookout for grocery bags that will be inserted in the November 6th issue of the Santa Barbara News-Press, which is partnering with the Foodbank to collect food for those in need during this time of year. Thank you to the Santa Barbara News-Press for the continued support of Foodbank’s Turkey Drive over the years.
Contributions can be dropped off in both Santa Maria and Santa Barbara locations:
- Car Show & Turkey Drive- Saturday, November 10 from 10:00am to 2:00pm, Albertson’s Parking Lot – 2320 S. Broadway
- Stop by to see some amazing cars as well as contribute to Foodbank’s goal to collect 2,500 frozen turkeys
- Sunny Country Radio will do a live broadcast at the event
- Trophy for Best in Show
- Drop-offs can also be made at the Santa Maria Foodbank facility located on 490 W. Foster Road, from 7:00am to 4:00pm on weekdays
- Though Foodbank is only open on weekdays, they will open their facilities during a one-day event on Saturday, November 10 from 9:00am to 1:00pm to allow those who can’t stop by during regular weekday hours.
- Drop-offs can be made at the Santa Barbara Foodbank facility located on 4554 Hollister Avenue, from 7:30am to 4:30pm on weekdays
- Though Foodbank is only open on weekdays, they will open their facilities during a one-day event on Saturday, November 10 from 9:00am to 1:00pm to allow those who can’t stop by during regular weekday hours
Online Fund Donations
- Individuals can also donate funds electronically at https://secure.qgiv.com/for/fosbc/.
For more information or to volunteer during the Turkey Drive or holiday season, please visit Foodbank at www.foodbanksbc.org or call (805) 967-5741.
About the Foodbank of Santa Barbara County
The Foodbank is celebrating 30 years of eliminating hunger and food insecurity by distributing nutritious food, education, and other resources through its own programs and to a network of 290 member non-profit agencies and programs in Santa Barbara County. In 2011, the Foodbank distributed 11 million pounds of food – translating into more than 8.5 million meals – of which fully half was fresh produce. This served over 102,000 unduplicated people from Carpinteria to Santa Maria, an amazing 1 in 4 people.